Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mustard Greens--They're Not Just for Breakfast Anymore!

A few days ago my friend Jim brought over some of his delicious yard eggs and told me he had had mustard greens for breakfast. I thought, "Wow, mustard greens for breakfast?" I had no idea anyone could summon that amount of courage so early in the day.
As I was thinking about what I could fix for breakfast this morning, knowing that there was a container of left-over mustard greens and sausage in the fridge, and being a firm believer in the "Ginger-Rogers-did-everything-Fred-Astaire-could-do, only-she-did-it-backwards-and-in-high-heels" philosophy, I decided to make a modified Eggs Sardou using my leftover mustard greens in place of the spinach called for in the recipe. And being so early in the morning, I did not go through the trouble of making the cream sauce--basically we had fried eggs over mustard greens. But was it good! The bright orange yolk from Jim's chickens' eggs flowed over the greens, making a sauce of their own. The greens that were so good yesterday had only improved overnight. I had an almost-gourmet mustard greens dish for breakfast! My next foray into Eggs Sardou with Mustard Greens will be for Sunday brunch. If it turns out as good as I think it will, look for the recipe in the cooking section.